A Mixture of Light and Shadow!!!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

TEXAS WITH CAMILO!!!

The trip was AWESOME; I almost have no words to describe that experience… it was to good!!! We did SO much stuff, that it was unbelievable.
The highlights of the trip: every single minute.
The lowlights: I’m sure I gained at least 3 kilos.
After arriving to Austin, Camilo gave me a quick tour and showed me some cool buildings, I also tried a “peanut butter empanada” which was in my opinion a great cultural mixture, the peanut butter is SO American and the empanadas are SO Latin… it was delicious. We met up with his parents and some of their friends (great people) for dinner, in a cool restaurant where we ate southern food. Then we went all together to a Cyril Neville’s concert, one of the Neville’s brothers from New Orleans. IT WAS GREAT!!!


Later on we went to a bar were there were people playing beach volleyball at midnight; obviously the weather was great too. We ended the night playing watchers at camilo’s friend, Ryan. On the way home, we stopped for hot donuts at 4 am (typical camilo’s tip)


On Saturday, we went to Mt Bonnell. The highest point within Austin City and got an amazing view of Town lake and Pennybacker or 360 Bridge , we went to Laguna Gloria, surrounded by beautiful grounds and an amazing amount of peacocks at Mayfield Park.




We rushed to see the sunset at the congress Av bridge, where 1.5 million bats (North American largest urban bats colony) come out from under the bridge giving an spectacular view and forming dense black columns that snake across the sky looking for food. After the show we went for dinner to a very nice Tex-Mex restaurant called Gueros and the best was to end the day swimming in the most beautiful natural pool called Barton springs at Zilker Park.



On Sunday we drove to San Antonio; saw the library, the Alamo and did the river walk, which is beautiful.


Dinner was at what could be my new favorite restaurant called Mi Tierra, open 24 hours and where we got the most delicious Mexican food at the most authentic place I’ve ever seeing. There where mariachis playing all over the place and there where colorful decorations everywhere.

On Monday we drove to Lockhart, a small town about 40 minutes away from Austin to get the REAL Texan Barbecue, which is not only delicious but impressive too. We went to a couple of different places, the Blacks and Kreuz, that way I got to try the different styles of meat and the tastiest and typical dessert call cobbler.Finally I had a shopping afternoon and got the real Lucchese, cowgirl boots, which are awesome. Shopping in Austin was a lot of fun; all along congress there are lots of unique stores where one can find all sort of weird things. My favorite store was electric ladyland, which is some sort of costume store.Well, after writing about all the great things that I saw in Texas, I haven’t said yet which was my favorite; Texas is the lone star state, they LOVE STARS and have them EVERYWHERE and I mean everywhere… on bridges and buildings, on the flag, the water hydrants, on the floor of the river walk, in the capitol… EVERYWHERE I LOVED MY TRIP!! And I REALLY liked what I saw of Texas thank to Camilo and his family!!!
Click HERE for more pictures!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home