A Mixture of Light and Shadow!!!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Washington D.C.


Last weekend I went to D.C. I wasn’t that exited about the trip, because I was going by my self, so I decided to take Baby Pooh with me and it turn out to be one of the best trip I’ve had. Full of adventures and cool new people.I arrived early on Saturday morning and went straight to the hostel to check in, met some people who gave me some useful tips. For example, that the hotel Washington has a restaurant on the roof from where you can get an amazing view of the city.

I went to the
white house



where I saw many people bitching at and about Bush in different and funny ways. My self-guided tour continued to the
Lincoln and Jefferson memorials and the Washington monument all of wish I fount interesting in a way. My favorite was the National WW II memorial, very moving and beautiful.


Then I went from monuments and memorials to all sorts of museums at
the National Mall. Where my favorite was the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, but in general the whole street and basically the amount of museums, one after the other one, was impressive!!Finally and after an incredibly LONG walk I got to the U.S capitol which is a VERY beautiful Building.



At night I got together with a group of people at the hostel and we took a tour around some cool neighborhoods and embassies, it was very interesting.


We ended the night at
Dupont Circle, which is the gay area, saw the famous Chess players and finally went bar hopping for a while with people from London, Spain, Brazil, Poland, Mexico, France, Germany and the U.S. We were a pretty diverse group, which added a lot of flavor to the night.On Sunday, I got together with Inma, one of the Spanish girls and we went and explore some more interesting places,


like
Georgetown, the wealthiest neighborhood of the city, where we saw the Georgetown University which is an amazing building and the oldest Jesuit school of the country. We also went to the Washington National Cathedral, another beautiful building and where I heard a service that seem to be more a politic speech than anything else… We continued to the Pentagon, Chinatown and finally we got to Adams Morgan,


My favorite neighborhood being the most ethnically diverse, full of funky bars and offbeat shops where we had a GREAT Ethiopian dinner.


Washington D.C is in my opinion a very special city, amazingly clean, full of contrasts and nice people. But it is one of the cities where I wouldn’t wanna live in.Fun facts: the metro has a carpet and it’s CLEAN.The streets are letters, numbers and the big ones are named by the states, for example the big shopping street is called Connecticut and the one where the white house is at is called Pennsylvania.There is a Mc Donald’s in some of the museums, but the prices are double of what you pay in any other Mc Donald’s on the street.All the museums are FREE.I had a GREAT time!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Washington is an amazingly beautiful city. Well, for a political junkie like me it was definitely something else!

BTW, thanks for visiting video-homenaje the LwF project.

6:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home